More than $759 Billion was spent on hospital care services in the US in 2009. With all that money where did hospitals make the most money? What states are the most profitable? How do the uninsured affect a hospital? We have put together a fact sheet that shows three key indicators and how that affects you. The cost of medical service drives your health insurance premiums. We recently wrote about top 5 ways to reduce your premiums.
Emergency rooms are the #1 profit center for most hospitals. A recent study suggests 76% of those visits are unnecessary. Firefighters in the city of Houston are battling this problem by connecting patients with urgent care instead of emergency room resulting in an estimated savings of $2Million.
The average charge to treat acute bronchitis at an urgent care center in 2012 was $122, compared with $814 at an emergency room, according to data on the website of CareFirst Blue Cross Blue Shield, which operates in Maryland, Northern Virginia and the District of Columbia.
Start educating your employees today on how to be a good health consumer, below are the services we provide our customers. These tools are invaluable in making employee benefits a benefit and not an entitlement. Contact your GDP Advisor today for help with education or communication.
Feel better now! 24/7 access to a doctor is only a call or click away—anytime, anywhere with no consult fee. With Teladoc, you can talk to a doctor by phone or online video consult to get a diagnosis, treatment options, and prescription if necessary. Save time and money by avoiding crowded waiting rooms in the doctor’s office, urgent care clinic or ER. Just use your phone, computer, smartphone or tablet to get a quick diagnosis by a U.S. licensed physician.
- On-demand healthcare—wherever, whenever
- Treatment for common medical issues such as colds, flu, poison ivy, respiratory infections, bronchitis, pink eye, sinus problems, allergies, urinary tract infections and ear infections
- 16-minute average callback time
- Consultations for all ages—from children to seniors
- U.S. board-certified doctors with an average 15 years practice experience
- Upon request, Teladoc can share co
Medical Health Advisor
Healthcare is becoming harder to understand. Personal Health Advocates help you find your way through insurance and healthcare systems. They can also locate doctors, specialists, hospitals, dentists and pharmacies. Advocates research treatments, resolve claims and provide medical explanations so you can make more informed decisions.
- Untangle medical bills and insurance claims
- Clarify benefits
- Answer questions about tests, treatments and medications
- Coordinate care among multiple providers
- Assist with eldercare and related healthcare issues
- Arrange second opinions
- Transfer medical records
- Negotiate payment arrangements with providers and find options for non-covered services
- Provide information about generic drug options
Medical Bill Saver™
Major issues can add up to major bills! Call Medical Bill Saver™ and rest easy. Experts who know the ins and outs of billing practices will attempt to negotiate discounts on your behalf. Negotiations can lead to a reduction in your out-of-pocket costs. Once an agreement is made, the provider signs off on payment terms and conditions. You’ll receive an easy-to-read personal Savings Results Statement, summarizing the outcome and payment terms.